What are Latkes?
Latkes are a Jewish Pancake made with potatoes and eggs.
Please Note: The preparation and cooking times are based on my rhythm, they may be shorter or longer for you.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 5 Russet potatoes
- 1 medium-sized Spanish yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves or garlic salt
- regular salt
- 3 eggs
- canola oil
- 1/3 measuring cup
- 1/2 tsp measuring spoon
- 1 tsp measuring spoon
- 1 tbsp measuring spoon
- 2 large frying pans
- cutting board
- paring knife or peeler
- Set out on your kitchen counter 2 bowls, and the two large frying pans on your stove.
- Rinse your potatoes well with water, being sure to rub #thoroughly the grit and soil deposits off from the skin of the potatoes
- Peel each potato with a paring knife or peeler, then set them aside.
- Add 3-4 tbsp of canola oil into one of the frying pans for sautéing and heat on medium to medium-high heat.
- Peel and rinse your onion with water, then use your paring knife or peeler to dice it into 1/2 inch to 1 inch long cubes.
- Mince garlic into your diced onion and toss the mixture into the pan with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper, then sauté until golden brown.
- While the onions are sautéing, crack 3 medium-sized eggs into one of the bowls and set them aside in the refrigerator.
- Return to your peeled potatoes and begin to shred each one with your grater into the other bowl until all 5 potatoes are completely shredded.
- Pour the shredded potatoes into your strainer and rinse thoroughly with cold water, then rinse out the second bowl.
- Return the shredded potatoes from the strainer to the bowl, fill the bowl with cold water, then set aside.
- Pour canola oil into the clean pan until filled up about a 1/2 inch or so and heat on medium to medium-high heat.
- Grab the bowl with the cracked eggs out of your refrigerator and add 1 tsp & 1/2 tsp regular salt (if minced garlic was added). Otherwise, add 1 tsp regular salt & 1/2 tsp garlic salt.
- Toss 1/3 cup flour into the bowl with the 3 cracked eggs and beat well with a whisk until #homogeneous.
- Add your golden brown diced onions to the bowl with the beaten eggs and whisk in thoroughly.
- Now, pour your shredded potatoes back in the strainer from the bowl to drain the cold water, rinse the bowl again and pour the shredded potatoes back into the bowl from the strainer.
- Add the egg, flour, and onion batter to the shredded potatoes and stir the eggs mixture in well until the shredded potatoes are thoroughly coated.
- Once your frying pan filled up with a depth of 1/2 inch canola oil is heated, begin to spoon in the latke batter to the pan (approximately 2-3 tbsps per latke). You should be able to sauté about 4 latkes at a time with a 10 inch diameter frying pan.
- Cook watchfully each latke until golden brown (approximately 5-10 mins on each side depending on your type of cooking range).
- Top with the traditional applesauce or try ranch dressing and serve.
YHWH||ANYAMARY||JESUSISRAEL share a definition, #thoroughly:
Merriam-Webster‘s definition of “thoroughly”
YHWH||ANYAMARY||JESUSISRAEL share a definition, #homogenous:
Merriam-Webster‘s definition of “homogeneous”